It is common to get into a few errors when you try to update your Windows. Among those one such frequent Windows update error is Error Code 0x8024a105.
Experts say that Error Code 0x8024a105 points to the problem with the Background Intelligent transfer service. However, this is not the only trigger for this update error.
Why Error Code 0x8024a105 occurs?
The Error Code 0x8024a105 indicated that there is some problem with the Automatic Windows Update. To be more clear, When the update fails, it will notify the users by showing the following popup.
It usually occurs by improper installation, or a virus, or a corrupted or missing files. It may also occur if there is any problem with the Background Intelligent transfer service. So it is advisable to stop this service temporarily and check if that helps. You can also try the reset all the Windows Update components.
Moreover, this error will not be found in the official list of Windows Update error codes list. If you are struggling with this error, we have got some ways for you to fix this issue.
Methods to fix Error Code 0x8024a105
Fix 1: Reboot the PC and check the Internet connection
Let’s begin with some simple methods,
- Often, Windows will continue to update during the reboot. It may take some time and it’s quite common to find a reboot works.
- If in case Rebooting doesn’t work, then let’s take a look at your Internet connections.
- If you have a wired(LAN) connection, then switch to WiFi.
- If you already have WiFi, then switch to LAN connection.
This will fix the problem in the majority of cases.
Fix 2: Run the Windows update troubleshooter
At present, in all PC and laptops, you can find a built-in troubleshooter that would automatically fix the broken components. We will see how to do that.
- Press Windows Key+R. This will open the Run Window at the bottom left corner. Copy and paste “control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting” and hit Enter.
- The Troubleshoot Window will open, select Windows update then click on Run the Troubleshooter.
- It will start to detect the problems with your updating client. If it identifies any issues, then it will ask you to trigger the automatic repair. All you need to do is, just hit the Apply this fix option.
- If the Troubleshooter reports that it fixed the issue, then restart your computer and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
If you still face the same issue then try the next method.
Fix 3: Reset the Windows Updates components manually
- Go to the windows start bar and search for “cmd”. Right-Click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- The command prompt will pop-up. You need to stop the services of MSI Installer, Windows Update, BITS, and Cryptographic. For that, insert the following commands one by one and press enter after each command.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- After stopping the services, you need to rename the Software Distribution folder and the Catroot2 folder. This will force the Windows Update to reinitiate its components. For this, you need to paste the following two commands in the command prompt and press Enter after each command.
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Now you are done with renaming the two folders. It’s time to restart the MSI Installer, Windows Update, BITS, and Cryptographic services again. For this, you need to type the following command in the Command prompt and hit enter after each command.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- That’s all you have now restarted the services, now close Command prompt and Restart/Reboot your system.
- Now try to install the update your windows.
So, we have suggested three possible ways to fix the Windows Update Error Code 0x8024a105. In some cases, simply restarting the PC can also help you.
So start from the simple steps and easily fix it if it doesn’t work then proceed with the next one. Try them and we hope it helps you. If you have any better suggestions feel free to share with us.