While using Kodi you may come across various errors with a pop-up message. One such error is “Kodi playback failed”. Most commonly you will get Kodi playback failed error as shown below.
The Kodi error message will be as follows…
Playback failed: One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message.
One thing you need to understand is that Kodi playback failed is just a message. So as stated in the message, the main cause of the Playback failed error can be found in the Kodi Log files.
In this article, we had given a detailed step by step procedure on how to diagnose and fix such errors.
How to fix Kodi Playback failed error?
Playback is the process of playing or streaming the content. So the possible reason for playback failed error can be due to the following reasons.
- Kodi can’t access the content (or) The content is restricted
- Kodi can’t play the content due to cache issues
1. Unlock access to Geo-restricted Content
Geo-restricted content means the video content will be restricted to a particular country or a Geolocation. Say for example if you want to stream the UK Live TV Channels from the US, then it would probably throw a Playback failed error. Because the one who hosts those files will limit the access to the particular countries. So if you try to stream it from a US IP address, then it will get blocked.
But wait! There is always a Plan B. Yes, in this modern world, there is always a solution for any type of problem. Here, I refer VPN as the solution. VPN also called Virtual Private Network will help you to mask your IP address and access the Geo-restricted content. With a VPN service like IPVanish, you can change the IP address to different countries as per your wish and stream their content without any hassle. IPVanish supports over 60+ countries. So if you want to stream the UK channels, then connect to the UK server. As simple as that 😉
2. Clearing the Cache Memory
Even if the Kodi gets access to the content, it won’t be able to stream for any of the following reasons…
- Unsupported file format
- Poor response from the server where the files are hosted
- Change of the m3u links
- Improper python scripts in the addon
On the other case, let us assume that the Kodi managed to fetch the content but not able to play it. In that case, your Kodi must have fetched something that’s not playable. These contents are stored in the Kodi cache memory. So you have to clear cache on Kodi. Apart from that, we should also consider clearing the cache files dumped in the device that runs Kodi.
3. Downgrade to the Older Version
In case, if you have recently upgraded your Kodi, then it may be the cause for the playback failed issue. So, uninstall the newer version of Kodi and move back to its older version. To move back to the older version, follow the steps below.
- Uninstall the new version Kodi on your device.
- Log in to the Kodi official website.
- Look for the older version by scrolling down.
- Select the previous version that your device was running on.
- Start downloading it on your device.
- Restart your Kodi again.
4. Delete the Database Files
Sometimes, an outdated database might be the reason behind the playback failed issue. So, if you are facing the playback failed issue, then get rid of the outdated database files either on your Android or Pc devices. To do this, proceed the below steps.
- Open your Kodi software.
- Navigate to the “Settings“.
- Open the “File Manager” folder on it.
- Then head to the default “Profile Directory“.
- From there, navigate to Database > addons.db (it comes with some numbers like addons27.db).
- Now, delete the addons.DB file.
- In case, if you are using a Windows PC, in the search bar enter %Appdata and launch the Kodi software.
- Then navigate to the User data > Database > Addons.db and clear the folder.
5. Update the Addon
In some cases, if you have not upgraded your addons, you may face the playback failed error on your Kodi. To fix this error, upgrade your addon by heading to the Settings > File Manager > Addon (choose the addon that troubles you with an issue). Then click the update option and restart your Kodi again.
6. Change the device compatibility settings
For some users, the playback failed error could be caused due to the incompatibility of device settings with Kodi. Hence, my making some new changes to your existing settings will help you to fix the error.
- Navigate to the Settings.
- Open File Manager and choose Add Source option.
- Enter the source URL as http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/
- Move back to Home Screen and hit the addon option.
- Select the Install from the zip file option and find repository,aresproject.zip.
- Then, tap on Install from Repository” there you’ll find “Ares Project” click on it.
- Once you’ve installed the Ares Wizard, open it from the addons option.
- Tap on Tweaks > Advanced Settings > Next > Generate Settings.
- Now make changes to it and reboot your Kodi.
7. Check the log file
This is the suggestion given in the popup error message. “Check the log for more information” is the common message Kodi throws for most of the issues. In order to understand the Kodi error log, a detailed explanation is needed. So we have made another article explaining how to find the log files and fix them. Do consider checking it out!
These are the available ways to fix Kodi playback failed error. Since its a minor error, I am keeping this article short. If you face any issue during execution, do let us know. We would be glad to help you.